Thursday, March 25, 2010

What.The.Kale?!

So I have this new thing. Every time I go to the grocery store I buy some new item I’ve never tried before. My approach at furthering my culinary education. First it was Leeks [they are great --- a fancy, easy to use onion --- great roasted] and this week I decided to check out Kale. Heard a lot of good stuff. “leafy, delicious, packed with nutrients” Alicia Silverstone was really into it on Oprah. But I am having some ish-ues [issues].

The texture is much more difficult than standard lettuce so you can’t just eat it like a salad. Tried one approach, cooking it like spinach and making a mushroom, kale, and feta omelet. Sounds amazing in theory right?! Except the kale still didn’t cook down like spinach --- was still pretty tough --- and I forgot I really don’t care for omelets, or eggs for that matter, so it was a total recipe fail.

I still have a hefty bunch of kale left in the fridge so I’m not giving up yet and hope to post a success story --- but if you have any advice let me know!

5 comments:

  1. No Kale advice but you are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ash. KALE??? I haven't ever prepared it but I had it recently at a friend's and she roasted it in olive oil and then salted it with sea salt. That was it. I'm impressed. She said she folded the leaf in half like a book and the broke off the stalk and pulled it up to remove the tough woody part. Let me know. Also, I'm going to send you the most delicious curried chicken salad recipe. You are awesome. ly..KATH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kale "chips" = amazing. Google an actual recipe, but this is what I do: (1) tear the leafy part of the kale off the stalk, (2) massage with EVOO, (3) place single layer in dish, (4) sprinkle with sea salt, and (5) broil until crispy (I like it almost burned). Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. y'all advice is incred...thanks! I'm goign to try them both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ash - Kale is hard to use! You are a brave girl. Ryan I have some in our fridge right now...and we are planning to use it soon too. I got a recipe for it - you have to saute it for like 20 minutes in order to break down all the cellulose. Basically use Meag's recipe, but do it in a saute pan for a hot not so chip-ish version. :)

    ReplyDelete