Monday, March 22, 2010

Pei.Wei.My.Way.

Ok I'm excited about this one. My favorite thing @ PeiWei is the Spicy Chicken Salad and I feel like I just re-created it @ home and for way less money and calories.




[Chicken]
1 chicken breast
Salt & Pepper
Paprika
[Salad]
1/2 cucumber, lightly peeled, cut in half, and sliced
Lettuce: use whatever you have --- I just had iceberg b/c my spinach is bad [but ready to be cooked]. I also bought kale today. It is tough and not something you would necessarily only eat raw --- but chopped up and mixed with the iceberg was fantastic. [More to come on kale]
[Dressing]
1/4 cup squeezed lime juice [roughly 2 limes]
1 tablespoon honey [orig. recipe called for sugar but that seemed aggressive so swapped w/ honey]
1 red jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon Toasted Seasame Oil [Yup. Weird and random but it's only a few dollars @ Whole Foods --- we'll find more uses for it]



Tenderize the chicken and cut into 1/4 inch strips. Sprinkle with salt & pepper & paprika on one size. In skillet warm a few drizzles of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken up-side-down then sprinkle the naked side with salt & pepper & paprika. Cover and let cook for a minute. Flip a few times until browned and completely cooked through.
While chicken is cooking combine lime juice, honey, sesame oil, and jalapeno in a mixing cup and whisk.
On the plate add lettuce and top with the sliced cucumber then drizzle with the dressing. Add cooked chicken and enjoy!
Note: if too limey and needs a little more sweet sprinkle a tidge of splenda
[Options: I feel like toasted peanuts or almonds would be good on this to add a little more crunch and some thai flavor flav]

No comments:

Post a Comment