Friday, June 11, 2010

Southwestern.Breakfast.Bake.




[Back Story]

If you are interested, here is a little back story --- otherwise skip right on down to the recipe.  Where I work, no one has offices.  Not even the owner of the agency.  We all sit in cubes --- some are just significantly larger than others.  Anyways, the cubes are arranged in groups of 8 or so --- which are referred to as "pods".  Well, every Friday my pod takes turns bringing in breakfast.  Given I've been cooking more, they told me my usual fare of Einstein Bagels or Taco Cabana breakfast tacos wasn't going to cut it.

I did some research and came across this casserole recipe on MyRecipes and I liked it because it's on the healthier side --- at least relative to others.  Then I added a few things to spice it up --- and changed the name because the term "casserole" either evokes grandma or Thanksgiving green beans.

[Ingredients]


Cooking spray
12 ounces turkey breakfast sausage (3-4 links)
2 cups milk (I used skim but whatever you have)
2 cups egg substitute (one of those small egg beaters cartons)
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
16 slices white bread (pretty much a loaf)
1 cup finely shredded reduced-fat extra sharp cheddar cheese
Paprika

[Adds]

What I added:
1 can black beans
1 can rotelle
But you could also add mushrooms, chopped bell pepper, green chilies, chopped onions etc.


[Directions]

1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray. De-case sausage and add to pan.  Stir and break sausage to crumble, cooking roughly 5 minutes or until browned.  Doesn't have to be cooked all the way through since will go in the oven.  Set aside to cool.
2. Combine milk and next 6 ingredients (stop at bread) in a large bowl and whisk.

3. Trim crusts from bread. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes. Add bread cubes, sausage, cheddar cheese, and any "adds" to milk/egg mixture, stirring to combine.

4. Pour bread mixture into a 13 x 9 baking dish coated with cooking spray, spreading egg mixture evenly in baking dish. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

5. Remove from fridge and let stand 30 minutes.

6. Preheat oven to 350°.

7. Sprinkle evenly with paprika and bake for 45-55 minutes or until lightly browned and egg is set.  let stand 10 minutes --- then enjoy!


When serving --- top with salsa.  I used my favorite "Joe T's" salsa.  I'm pretty sure it was a hit...






2 comments:

  1. You are so adorable and talented! I'm so impressed with your latest feats, and I love the new lay out too. I love breakfast bakes. I'm going to def send this one to my mom ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sit next to Ashley in our "pod." This thing was awesome. What a great way to start a Friday. The competition is definitely on for the best pod breakfast ever...

    ReplyDelete