Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Beets.Are.Delicious! Who.Knew?

Seriously. I learned today --- scratch that --- 2 hours ago --- that Beets.Are.Great. To think of all the salads in the past I've scanned and quickly passed up upon reading an ingredient is beets. What a shame! I don't know why I thought I didn't like beets. To be honest it might be my mom's fault --- sorry mom --- because I'm pretty sure she is anti-beet. But I will be changing that. And let's be honest, the word "beet" is really not that sexy.

I came across a beet and orange salad that looked like something I couldn't help but like and decided to give beets a shot. Actually ended up making two recipes tonight and I honestly cannot say which one is better. Both amazing.



One more thing before we get into the recipes --- did you know beets had to be cooked?!?! I'm not sure why this came as a surprise to me as I didn't even know what a raw beet looked like (thank you Albertson's associate) but I guess I thought you just started slicing away. Not true.

For both of the below, cut the stems (and tails) off the beets and put into a medium saucepan covered in water. Bring to a boil and boil for 30 minutes until they can easily be pierced with a fork.

The skin should be soft enough that you can just slide it off with your fingers. Let the beets cool a bit first! Or use a knife to peel/cut the skin off. Warning: change into dark clothing and consider gloves.



Although this is the "before" washing hands picture --- the "after" does not look much different! I'm not a hand model though (although I bet I could be) so it's not that big a deal. :)

[Beet, Basil, & Orange Salad]
Following serves ~4

2 medium beets, peeled and cut into eighths
2 oranges
2T balsamic vinegar
3T chopped basil
salt and pepper to taste
3T olive oil

While beets are boiling, in a small mixing bowl combine the following:
- The zest of one orange
- 2T of balsamic vinegar
- 3T of chopped basil
- Salt and pepper


Whisk then slowly add the 3T olive oil while continuing to whisk. Set aside.

Then peel and section the orange so you have just the wedges without the skin/pulp. Arrange on serving plates. Then arrange the beet wedges on the plate. Drizzle with basil vinaigrette.

D. Lish. And gorgeous.


[Beet Salad with Goat Cheese & Walnuts]
Following serves ~4

2 beets
2T red wine vinegar
3T olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup walnuts
Goat cheese
Lettuce: Bibb lettuce pictured, arugula and escarole used in original recipe

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the 2T of vinegar, salt and pepper, and slowly whisk in the 3T of olive oil.

Cut the beets into bite-size wedges/cubes and add to the marinade. Put in fridge and let sit at least 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees and spread walnuts on cookie sheet. Toast for roughly 8-10 minutes until browned --- stirring occasionally. Once toasted, cut into smaller pieces.


On serving plates place handful of lettuce. Top with marinated beets. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts then crumble desired amount of goat cheese on top.


Enjoy!
Then tell me which of the two is better!

2 comments:

  1. Since when did you become a gourmet chef?! Both look delish and your plating is beautiful. You're setting the bar high for Port A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always stick to canned beet just to avoid the hassle of cutting and have purple stains on my palms. I applaud those who try to cook with fresh beet.
    Lovely combination and your presentation is beautiful! :D

    ReplyDelete