Friday, April 16, 2010

If.You.Only.Make.One.Thing.From.This.Blog.

...this needs to be it!

[Turkey Burgers]
I know it sounds so plain but the following recipe was featured on Oprah's favorite things episode and is the official recipe from Mar-A-Lago.

1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
1/8 cup canola oil [I use olive oil]
4 pounds ground turkey breast
2 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. black pepper
2 tsp. Tabasco® chipotle pepper sauce [yup, the recipe that started my love of this sauce]
1 lemon, juiced and grated zest
1/2 bunch parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup Major Grey's Chutney, pureed [honestly, have never found this in the store so don't stress]


Sauté the scallions, celery and apples in the oil until tender. Let cool.

Place the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add sautéed items and the remaining ingredients. Shape into eight 8-ounce burgers.

Refrigerate for 2 hours. [LBH* that never happens]

Season the turkey burgers with salt and pepper. Place on a preheated, lightly oiled grill. Grill each side for 7 minutes until meat is thoroughly cooked. Let sit for 5 minutes.

FYI, 4lbs is a ton of turkey. That's two of the Jenni'O packages (buy the extra lean). One package of turkey can make 5-6 average patties --- halving the recipe is a good idea.

*Let's be honest...

So that is the official recipe and I stand behind it...but there are so many variations! I think all you need to keep consistent is the turkey, apples, and lemon juice/zest...and maybe the Chipotle Tabasco.

This weekend I had turkey and decided to make the burgers but did not have all the ingredients...

Instead of scallions and celery I used a chopped up yellow onion.

Instead of Granny Smith apples I used Pink Lady.

Instead of Canola oil I used Olive Oil.

Instead of Parsley I used Basil.

And I threw in dried cranberries and toasted almonds just for fun.

De-lish.

One more piece of advice...if your stuff:turkey ratio gets too high...the patties don't stick together as well. If that happens, a grill pan works better than the real grill.

Seriously. Make this.

No comments:

Post a Comment